Join the Team
Interested in Joining the Intonation Team?
Make a direct impact by joining our lean but mighty crew of rock star team members! We are currently seeking enthusiastic mission-driven self-starters for the following positions
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (FT)
Intonation Music is seeking a dynamic and experienced FT Development Manager to help launch the next stage of Intonation’s growth. The Development Manager will be responsible for creating and administering Intonation’s 3-year development plan; planning, organizing and managing all aspects of fundraising including grants, annual appeals, outreach efforts, fundraising events, gear donations, and stewardship of current and future donors. The Development Manager is a key member of Intonation’s leadership team, and will be relied on for expertise in strategic planning, facilitation, problem solving, and proactive measures to drive the mission forward.
The DM reports to the Executive Director and together they will act as the lead contacts with Intonation’s main and associate boards. The DM will oversee donor management and communication with support from Intonation’s Operations Coordinator.
The successful candidate will be ready to hit the ground running with enthusiasm, fund-raising expertise, superior organizational and communication skills, analytical capabilities, the ability to conceptualize, and a talent to manage multiple projects at once.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board to create and execute compelling annual and 3-year fundraising plans and calendars to include short and long-range fundraising goals, budgets and strategies
- Regularly assess progress towards goals and identify the key drivers and metrics of success as well as roadblocks.
- Attend Professional Development seminars related to fundraising
Messaging and Communication
- Lead writer in distilling Intonation’s mission, impact and strategic priorities into a series of succinct messages which will inform all of the organization’s fundraising communications.
- Lead writer, generator of creative ideas, and liaison for in-house and external designers for creation of fundraising-related collateral and marketing materials to include Annual Report Card, Brochures, social media etc.
- Meet regularly with program staff to update on funding requirements, obtain information for progress reports and exchange information to directly enhance program operations and revenue support
- Relationship building with current and prospective major donors and program officers to include strategy, content, and calendar for customized individual and collective efforts such as event invites, updates, appeals, phone calls, site visits, and meetings.
- Represent Intonation at Industry functions related to development and fundraising
- Develop and maintain grants and corporate funding calendar in all categories, serving as the liaison for other staff and departments involved, deadlines, report due dates and renewal procedures
- Serve as the organization’s primary writer of compelling LOIs, proposals and reports
- Oversee prospect research to explore new sources of grant funding, including government, institutional, foundation, and corporate.
- Manage development administrative functions including the fundraising database, reporting, gift processing, and acknowledgements
- Act as lead for planning, communication, and reconciliation both internally and with external partners for Intonation’s Annual Spring Gala and other fundraising and benefit events.
- Responsible for strategy, timeline, content and execution of all mail and online appeals
- Main liaison with designers for content, format, and design of appeals
- Work with board members to grow and collect their contact lists for appeals
- Oversee all aspects of equipment donations including communication, drop off/pick-up of items, valuation and acknowledgment, together with Gear Coordinator.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 5 years Non-Profit fundraising experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding and commitment to the mission, goals and values of Intonation
- Experience with fundraising software (recording gifts, running reports, managing donors, etc.); Knowledge of Donor Perfect a plus.
- Proven track record demonstrating excellent stewardship skills, including follow through with attention to detail
- Fluency in Windows, Mac, Google, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to work within a team as well as demonstrate initiative and a proven ability to work independently
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities and time manage in a fast-paced and self-directed team environment
- Ability to maintain positive and professional relationships with a wide variety of people including, but not limited to; board members, staff, volunteers, interns, community partners, organizational donors, media
- Willingness to work some night and weekend events
- Experience with Chicago Arts Education Non-profit a plus
- Experience with Government Grants and contracts a plus
- Musical experience a plus
- Having a car is a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Health insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, majority of premiums paid by employer
- Paid time off (vacation, sick days, personal days)
- Flexible work hours
To apply, please e-mail resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Exceutive Director Mike Simons at email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
Intonation Music is a youth development and music education organization that provides opportunities for young people to explore their potential and discover a new passion through the experience of learning to play instruments, forming a band with their peers, and performing the music they know and love. By design, Intonation programs amplify youth voice, identity and creativity, which begins by working in an art form that matters to young people, popular music.
Our year-round classes make music accessible to children in low-income neighborhoods by providing them with instruments, instruction, mentorship, and the chance to perform on stages across the city. Each Intonation student takes part in a personal and team approach to practice, setting goals, and problem solving; and over time they gain the confidence to take charge of their direction and seek out new experiences.
During the 2016-17 Program Year, Intonation served 584 students at Chicago Public Schools, Charter Schools, Chicago Park District locations, and other youth development organizations.